Pay Range: $17.48 to $21.85 / Hourly
Location: Morrison YMCA/Ballantyne Arts Center
Under the direction of the Dance Director and consistent with the Christian mission of the YMCA of Greater Charlotte, the Professional Teaching Artist – Dance will be responsible for instructing and implementing the Dance Program for the branch, its members, and the community.
- 4 year degree preferably in Dance/Arts related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Masters in Dance / arts related field preferred.
- 5 years practicing the specialized dance / art form and 5 hours annually of continuing education in dance / art related field.
- 4 years minimum experience in teaching dance / arts classes for participants of all ages.
- Experience identifying, designing and implementing training for new teachers into the arts program.
- Experience implementing a showcase, directing, or presenting student work to an audience.
- Present a professional image to participants and general public.
- Strong decision making skills, versatility, initiative, and human relation skills.
- Enthusiasm and the ability to work well with participants and develop harmonious relationships with staff, and members.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to assist in developing and implementing class curriculum in alignment with strategic program goals.
- Safety certifications and all trainings and certifications in accordance with the Quality Standards within required timeframe.
- Provide quality age appropriate instruction in dance, creating a fun, engaging growth environment that meets the needs of and appropriately challenges every program participant.
- Turn in detailed lesson plans on or before provided deadlines incorporating arts integrated learning to enhance life skills as well as dance skills.
- Create an ensemble of young performers challenging and valuing every student.
- Identify and incorporate appropriate accommodations to serve students of all abilities.
- Instruct dance / arts classes at agreed upon scheduled times.
- Implement a high quality showcase highlighting the students’ work for an audience.
- Arrange for substitutes to teach scheduled classes when necessary.
- Provide professional and engaging communication to families in person utilizing provided outlines and standards while meeting outlined communication deadlines.
- Insure the health and safety of each participant and maintain a safe and clean program site.
- Be a positive influence and advocate of the arts and the YMCA.
- Accept the goals and objectives of the YMCA and work to achieve them.
- Take part in all training or in-service activities to develop proficiencies required performing job responsibilities.
- Attend staff meetings, promptly and prepared.
- Be an active participant in program analysis providing constructive and proactive feedback for program adjustments and improvements.
- Maintain positive relationships, open communication with YMCA personnel, participants, administration and volunteers.
- Participate in program enhancements including, but not limited to Birthday Parties, Special exhibits, Yearly festivals such as Inspire Ballantyne.
- Assume any other duties as assigned by the YMCA administration.
Effect on End Results:
The effectiveness of the incumbent’s performance will be measured by mutually agreed upon objectives. Furthermore, the effectiveness will be measured by:
- the significant growth and improvement of the Dance / Arts program
- the degree to which the program is supported by the membership and community
- The positive impact the program has on participants and their families.
- Program evaluations that meet the branch quality point and percentage return criteria.
More information on working at the YMCA of Greater Charlotte can be found here: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/mission/join-the-mission/work-ymca-charlotte