Do you have an innovative idea that will help make Charlotte more livable? Are you eager to serve and engage your community?
Share your idea with 880 Cities and Knight Foundation and tell them about yourself. You could be selected as a K880 Emerging City Champion.
What is the K880 City Champions program?
The K880 Emerging City Champions program provides young, emerging and diverse leaders with the opportunity to make immediate and lasting impacts in their communities. K880 and Knight Foundation believe that livable cities are successful cities. Making our cities safer and more enjoyable for everyone, from eight to 80 years old, will help our communities attract and retain talent, create economic opportunity, and build civic engagement.
If you are between the ages of 19 and 35; if you have the ideas; if you’re willing to try and fail and learn; if you have the drive and passion; and, if you live in either Charlotte, North Carolina; Akron, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan; Macon, Georgia; Miami, Florida; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Saint Paul, Minnesota; or San Jose, California, then apply today to be a K880 Emerging City Champion.
880 Cities and Knight Foundation will select 24 Champions from the pool of applicants: three Champions each city.
Benefits to becoming an Emerging City Champion
All Champions will:
- Receive $5,000 in seed funding to implement his or her proposed idea;
- Participate in The Emerging City Champions Studio, a training workshop held in Toronto in June 2015 (travel and stipends will be fully covered);
- Receive professional media training and be supported in developing a communications and promotional strategy. This will include training in writing, social media, and video documentation;
- Connect to a diverse and inspiring network of peers from across the country;
- Interact with a mentor (an expert in the field) who will offer support, expertise, and advice throughout the program (880 Cities staff will also be available to support the Champions in implementing their projects);
- Be recognized and promoted by 880 Cities and the Knight Foundation.
You should apply if you are:
- A young urbanist, passionate about your community
- An emerging civic leader, committed to your neighborhood or city
- An innovator and a creative problem solver
- A youth activist who wants a better future for your neighborhood
- A young community organizer eager to explore new ways to get people engaged
- Someone who loves to walk and bike and who thinks all cities should be bikeable and walkable
- Ambitious, collaborative, and inclusive
The Emerging City Champions is open to anyone with an innovative idea and the ability to implement it. Applicants may be activists, tactical urbanists, designers, artists, planning professionals, hackers, architects; everyone is welcome. K880 and Knight Foundation are seeking applicants from diverse backgrounds, fresh perspectives, and innovative solutions.
So what are you waiting for?
Click here for more information or to apply. Application closes on MAY 8, 2015. Share your big ideas to make Charlotte better!