Voters on CharlotteCultureGuide.com selected the final five artists for the program
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (Dec. 7, 2016) – ASC has announced the 20 regional artists that will be part of the fourth year of ArtPop, a program in which local artists submit their work to be displayed on available billboard space. ASC, Adams Outdoor Advertising and ArtPop founder Wendy Hickey partnered to launch the local program in 2014.
New billboard installations will begin the week of January 9, 2017 and selected artworks will be displayed throughout the year. There are no guarantees on where artists’ work will be located; selected artworks can be placed anywhere in Adams Outdoor Advertising’s Charlotte coverage area and will rotate across locations on a space available basis.
A jury composed of local arts and design experts selected the top submissions for the Charlotte-area program, with artists ranked among the top 15 submissions automatically receiving invitations to participate. A public vote on CharlotteCultureGuide.com during Thanksgiving week (Nov. 20-27) determined the final five participants.
Jury-selected program artists (with artistic mediums in parenthesis) are:
- Micah Cash, Concord (oil on canvas)
- Justin Christenbery, Cornelius (acrylic painting on canvas)
- Mark Doepker, Huntersville (Prismacolor (colored pencil))
- Itala Flores, Mooresboro (drywall pottery)
- Joanna Henry, Fort Mill (collage)
- Gerry King, Rock Hill (photography)
- Aaron Moore, Charlotte (collage)
- Quoctrung Nguyen, Charlotte (ink and acrylic on paper)
- Scott Partridge, Charlotte (digital art)
- Diane Pike, Denver (oil on canvas)
- Theron Ross, Charlotte (forged iron)
- Caroline Rust, Rock Hill (oil on canvas)
- Ju-Ian Shen, Charlotte (ceramic art)
- Nicholas Sorlien, Statesville (cast concrete)
- Bryan Wilson, Charlotte (oil painting)
Artists selected by public vote are:
- Renee Calder, Huntersville (ceramic/metal)
- Joshua Cross, Concord (mixed media painting)
- Kimberly Hanson, Charlotte (mixed media – acrylic, collage)
- Kathie Roig, Charlotte (fiber/handweaving)
- Annemarie Weekley, Charlotte (wood relief print with gold leaf
Individual artists, ages 18 and older, from any discipline and residing in the greater Charlotte region were eligible to apply to participate for free. Adams Outdoor Advertising provides the billboard space and ASC covers the production costs of reproducing selected artists’ images on vinyl to fit the billboards.
Hickey established ArtPop as a 501c3 in August 2015. She has expanded the program to 13 U.S. cities and regions with a mission to promote local artists work through available media space.
To stay up to date on ASC news and happenings, visit ASC’s website and ASC’s blog, ASCCharlotte.Wordpress.com. Follow ASC on Instagram and Twitter @ASCCharlotte and “Like” on Facebook at Facebook.com/ASCCharlotte.