By Bernie Petit
The Arts & Science Council (ASC) kicked off its 2014 Annual Fund Drive on Jan. 27. Here’s what you should know about the campaign, which runs through April 30.
- This year’s campaign goal is $6.9 million, which is what is needed to help sustain the cultural sector – including the operations of more than 20 organizations – in the 2014-15 fiscal year.
- This year’s fund goal only reflects unrestricted giving – those gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations to support the cultural sector broadly.
- ASC still welcomes restricted, one-time or project-related gifts. However, those gifts are not reflected in this year’s campaign goal.
- The campaign theme is “ASC is You & Me,” which speaks to how everyone – whether you are a patron, student, employee, artist or visitor to Charlotte-Mecklenburg – is impacted by the organizations and programs that ASC dollars support.
- In planning the 2014 campaign, ASC looked back at what is likely the most popular fund drive theme in its history – ASC is Good for Me! – and asked its friends at Wray Ward to modernize the theme for the 21st century.
- Eighty-five cents of every dollar raised during the campaign directly supports the cultural sector, including funding of arts, science and history organizations, individual artists, and education and community programs.
- ASC is a funding source, but what it funds is your passion – visual and performing arts, science, history and heritage programming, festivals, and cultural education opportunities for students.
- This is ASC’s 56th annual community appeal for funding that supports arts and cultural experiences that enhance the quality of life for residents across Mecklenburg County.
- While the 2013 fund drive raised $9 million on an $8.2 million goal, this year’s goal is considered more ambitious. This year’s $6.9 million goal only includes unrestricted giving, while last year’s goal included an unrestricted giving goal of $6.1 million and a restricted giving goal of $2.1 million.
- Keeping our region fun, alive and vibrant takes money from everyone who loves this community and understands how transformative arts and culture can be. To make a gift to the Arts & Science Council, visit ArtsandScience.org or call 704-333-2272.