Recognized as one of 10 national finalists for Americans for the Arts’ Robert E. Gard Award 2018
Sometimes, listening really is the best plan of action, and so Culture Blocks came to be. Dedicated to building stronger relationships with specific geographic areas, Culture Blocks helps vibrant programming meet people exactly where they are: at the recreation center, at the library, and beyond.
NEW! Sign up for our text messages to receive upcoming Culture Blocks activities happening in your community. It’s easy- just text the word CULTURE to 797979.
What is Culture Blocks?
Culture Blocks embraces and celebrates the cultural life and desires of residents, connects communities to arts and culture activities that speak to their interests, and seeks to break down barriers to participation with cultural organizations.
Culture Blocks is funded by Mecklenburg County and aligns with the county’s initiative to serve residents closer to where they live.
How does Culture Blocks work?
Culture Blocks program staff learn more about what is happening within the community through conversation with residents. Those conversations take place while in attendance at neighborhood meetings and community events, at ASC hosted gatherings and facilitated discussions, and by including community leaders and residents in process of identifying programming priorities.
Through resource sharing and support of relevant programming, Culture Blocks supports the scaling of existing cultural infrastructure and augments existing happenings with additional feedback based programming.
To view a list of the feedback ASC has received from the community, click here.
Where does Culture Blocks work?
Funded by Mecklenburg County, Culture Blocks is a community partnership with Charlotte Mecklenburg Library and Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation to provide cultural programming in nine geographical blocks of Mecklenburg County.
Culture Blocks funded experiences take place closer to where residents live at libraries, parks, recreation centers, and relevant community spaces to increase access and reduce transportation and parking barriers.
How can i get involved with Culture Blocks?
As the program grows, ASC staff continue to work with community representatives and cultural program providers to identify partnerships, priorities, and resources to address participation barriers impacting area residents.
To provide programming, individuals and organizations can get involved with Culture Blocks through the following application:
- The Culture Blocks Program Investment Application provides funding to creative individuals and organizations to connect relevant cultural experiences closer to where residents live. The funded programming explicitly integrates arts, science, and/or history experiences with community feedback as listed within the Culture Blocks Program Themes. The programming is open to the public and seeks to increase access to creative programming for residents. Apply now.
To stay involved, area residents and neighborhood organizations can connect with the program in numerous ways.
- Attend ASC hosted gatherings and facilitated discussions or sponsored cultural events
- Invite ASC staff to attend neighborhood meetings and community events
- Serve on panels and planning committees
- Share information about upcoming cultural events by inviting neighbors, posting on social media, and/or listing events in community newsletters
- Opt-in to the Culture Blocks text messaging program by texting the word CULTURE to 797979
To stay informed and engaged, contact Culture Blocks Program Director, Eboni Lewis, at 704-335-3043 or at email@example.com.