Recognized as one of 10 national finalists for Americans for the Arts’ Robert E. Gard Award 2018
Culture Blocks connects communities with responsive arts, science, and history experiences close to where residents live. The program engages with creative individuals and organizations with a primary mission of arts, science, and/or history to present programs in specific geographic areas. Culture Blocks, funded by Mecklenburg County, supports cultural experiences that are planned with resident involvement and/or take place at libraries, recreation centers, parks, and relevant community spaces.
How does Culture Blocks work?
Culture Blocks program staff learn more about what is happening within the community through conversation with residents. Those conversations take place while in attendance at neighborhood meetings and community events, at Culture Blocks hosted gatherings and facilitated discussions, and including residents in the process of identifying programming priorities.
Through resource sharing and support of relevant programming, Culture Blocks supports the scaling of existing cultural infrastructure and augments existing happenings with additional feedback based programming.
To view a list of the feedback Culture Blocks has received from the community, click here.
Where Do Culture blocks programs take place?
Culture Blocks funded experiences take place closer to where residents live at libraries, parks, recreation centers, and relevant community spaces to increase access and reduce transportation and parking barriers.
Funded by Mecklenburg County, Culture Blocks is a community partnership with Charlotte Mecklenburg Library and Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation to provide cultural programming in nine geographical blocks of Mecklenburg County.
how can i become involved with culture blocks?
- Attend Culture Blocks hosted gatherings and facilitated discussions or sponsored cultural events
- Invite Culture Blocks staff to attend neighborhood meetings and community events
- Serve as a volunteer at Culture Blocks events or on planning committees
- Share information about upcoming Culture Blocks events by inviting neighbors, posting on social media, and/or listing events in community newsletters
- Opt-in to the Culture Blocks text messaging program by texting the word CULTURE to 797979
To stay informed and engaged, contact the Culture Blocks team at email@example.com.