Position: Director of Facilities
Reports To: CFO/COO
FLSA Status: Full Time – Exempt
General Summary: This position is responsible for organizational facility and support services’ planning, operations and maintenance in support of the organization’s goals. Scope includes multiple facility locations. Facility management is a profession that encompasses multiple disciplines to ensure functionality of the built environment by integrating people, place, process and technology.
Duties and Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Serves as a liaison with the City of Charlotte’s Building Services’ Division and other interested parties to adequately provide facilities services such as HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and structural.
- Coordinates building improvements and construction with the City of Charlotte and private contractors. Develops and implements, in conjunction with the City, organization-wide facility life-cycle and utilization plans.
- Work with City personnel to develops and implement business processes that assure cost efficient facility operations and minimize/eliminate unplanned infrastructure and building systems downtime.
- Provides for a safe environment for people using the protection of artifacts and property. Assists with the management of loss, injury prevention programs and compliances with environment, health and safety standards.
- Manage the housekeeping contract vendor relationship at both locations of the Mint Museum through coordination with an outsourced housekeeping provider.
- Manages the museum’s needs for security coverage through a contract vendor ‘Security Force’ relationship. Develops and implements policies and procedures for emergencies & on-going safety training, Responsible for Managing security, alarm and fire suppression/detection systems, key control & access badge control, and ensures compliance to applicable building, fire, electrical, mechanical system standards and codes.
- In addition to outsourced housekeeping and security services, maintains facility operations and maintenance policies, procedures and work instructions regarding landscaping, parking lot & deck, copier & print program, postage equipment and usage, general office supply purchases, interior furniture and fixture purchases, & other operational criteria.
- Coordinates assistance with the Special Events staff when needed.
- Coordinate Mint Museum and any associated sub-tenants’ cleanliness, usage, and access of the shipping dock area.
- Coordinates shared services billings for sub-tenants to capture back compensation for specific rent & utilities and other standard operational expenses.
- Oversees projects, ensuring coordination with cross-functional teams. Partners with various departments to ensure services and needs are met across the organization.
- Coordinates proper payment documentation & schedules for all facility related vendor invoices.
- Develops and manages organizational facilities annual expense to budget, expense reports and justifications. Works with the City, and provides oversight, to coordinate annual Facilities Capital & Operating Budgets. Provides oversight for the Mint’s capital planning process, regarding building enhancements, construction, and furniture, fixtures, and equipment. This position is also responsible for successful implementation of the plan.
- Ability to manage all Mint staff and outsourced staff to provide excellence in operational customer service.
- Assist with Information Technology related project management, especially those components that integrate with the building itself.
Minimum Qualifications for Consideration:
- Education: Related Bachelor’s Degree.
- Professional Experience: Minimum of seven years’ experience in a related field
- Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Proficiency in spreadsheets and database software applications, in particular – Microsoft Office applications. Knowledge of CAD or CAFM a plus. Ability to read blueprints and construction documents and identify errors or omissions to correct plans as necessary, or to identify opportunities for space ‘best use.’
- Working Conditions: Work indoors and out. Must be able to climb stairs and assist with evacuation of the building.
- Supervisory responsibilities: Mint Facility Manager, full staff of contracted housekeeping personnel, full staff of contracted security personnel, direction provided to City maintenance personnel as required, and oversight for all other related facilities vendor relationships.
- Additional Education, Certification or Professional Designations: CFM (Certified Facility Manager) and/or additional industry certifications desired.
Disclaimer: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. The Mint Museum reserves the discretion to change this job description at any time.
To Apply: Apply online.
About The Mint Museum: As the oldest art museum in North Carolina, with one of the largest collections in the Southeast, The Mint Museum offers its visitors inspiring and transformative experiences through art from around the world via innovative collections, groundbreaking exhibitions, and riveting educational programs. The Mint Museum is a non-profit, visual arts institution comprised of two dynamic facilities: Mint Museum Uptown and Mint Museum Randolph.
Located in what was the original branch of the United States Mint, the three-story, 76,000-square-foot facility – Mint Museum Randolph opened in 1936 in Charlotte’s Eastover neighborhood as the state’s first art museum. Today, in a beautiful park setting, intimate galleries invite visitors to engage with the art of the ancient Americas, ceramics and decorative arts, fashion, European art, and African art, among other collections. Resources include a reference library with over 18,000 volumes, a theater featuring lectures and performances, and a museum shop offering merchandise that complements both the permanent collection and special exhibitions.
Mint Museum Uptown houses the internationally renowned Craft + Design collection, as well as outstanding collections of American, contemporary, and European art. Designed by Machado and Silvetti Associates of Boston, the five-story, 175,000-square-foot facility combines inspiring architecture with cutting-edge exhibitions to provide visitors with unparalleled educational and cultural experiences. Located in the heart of Charlotte’s burgeoning center city, Mint Museum Uptown is an integral part of the Levine Center for the Arts, a cultural campus that includes the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, the Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts and Culture, the Knight Theater, and the Duke Energy Center. Mint Museum Uptown also features a wide range of visitor amenities, including the 240-seat James B. Duke Auditorium, the Lewis Family Gallery, art studios, a restaurant, and a museum shop. For more information, visit www.mintmuseum.org.