Position: WeBop Instructor
Reports To: President/CEO
Job Classification: Part-time, Non-Exempt
WeBop is an early Childhood jazz education program in which young children (ages 2 – 5 years) and their parent/caregivers explore the concepts of jazz, its many instruments, styles and great performers throughout 8-week terms. The 45-minute class provide a safe and creative environment in which caregivers and children engage with live jazz performers and one another, expressing themselves musically through dance, singing and song-writing, playing instruments, storytelling and more.
WeBop Teachers are:
• Expert educators with special study and teaching experience in early childhood education
• Musicians with knowledge and an understanding of jazz
• High energy individuals with an understanding and willingness to build community within the program and institution
• Developmentally and culturally aware and responsive to families attending programs at JazzArts Charlotte
• Familiar with student-centered teaching strategies
• Dedicated to the mission of JazzArts Charlotte and WeBop and a desire to grow within the program.
• Lead weekly classes for children 2-5 years of age and their parents/caregivers using the WeBop curriculum, designed by Jazz at Lincoln Center in collaboration with early childhood education expert, Lori Custodero of teacher’s College at Columbia University.
• Prepare and deliver lessons using the WeBop curriculum and adapt materials as necessary
• Direct accompanist in each class and guest musicians during designated “band weeks”
• Attend 1-2 faculty meetings per term to prepare for upcoming classes, discuss best practices and partake in professional development
• Prepare and submit weekly lesson plans to accompanist and guest musicians
• Complete self-assessment at the middle and end of each year
• A Bachelor’s degree in jazz, education, or relevant subject and/or two (2) years of music education experience
• Minimum of one (2) year experience teaching in early childhood settings
• Knowledge of or background in jazz
• Must be able to work on weekday mornings and afternoons or Saturday mornings
• Fluency in Spanish not required, but a plus
• Must be able to attend mandatory training at Jazz at Lincoln Center August 8-11, 2019. All expenses paid.
Fall Term: Late September – Mid November
Winter Term: Late January – Mid March
Spring Term: Mid March – Late May
This position will be hiring for morning/afternoon or evening weekday classes. Specific weekday TBD upon hire.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “WeBop Instructor” in the subject line. For more information: Contact Lonnie Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JAI is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. Jazz Arts encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.
To learn more about JazzArts Charlotte please visit: www.TheJazzArts.org