Organization: JazzArts Charlotte
Location: Spirit Square, 345 North College Street, Charlotte, NC, 28202
Reports To: President
JazzArts Charlotte is a Charlotte-based nonprofit arts organization committed to connecting community and developing an audience for jazz through quality education, performance and musician support.
Established in 2009 by co-founders Lonnie and Ocie Davis, JazzArts strives to serve as a catalyst for cultural enrichment and music education that brings creative inspiration to the lives of people in the Charlotte region.
Since its founding, JazzArts has grown considerably to include two primary programmatic offerings: the JAZZ ROOM @ The Stage Door Theatre and a JazzArts Academy comprised of youth workshops and ensembles, camps and outreach to local schools. The JAZZ ROOM is a multi-performance, monthly concert offering in uptown Charlotte taking place on Friday and Saturday nights (with extended weekends including Thursday). Earned revenue from the JAZZ ROOM coupled with contributed revenue fuels the JazzArts Academy, which provides jazz music education for thousands of students annually.
JazzArts is at an important inflection point with encouragement from local funders and audience members to take a significant step forward in service to its mission. JazzArts has created a solid organizational foundation on which to build with high quality programming a hallmark. The
organization’s leadership has developed a long-term vision of increased impact through performances, education programming and musician support, claiming the mantle as Charlotte’s premiere jazz organization.
In 2018, the JazzArts Guild was formed. The JazzArts Guild is an active group of dedicated volunteers, created to serve the organization by providing relational support to JazzArts’ effort by increase awareness, acquire new constituents and develop contributed support.
To further activate this group and steward JazzArts Charlotte’s dedicated group of subscribers and patrons, a full-time Development Director is being sought with the goal of increasing contributed revenue. JazzArts has received multi-year grant support to undergird the initial expansion of this role. With increased revenue from development efforts, the organization desires to support continued programmatic growth.
The Role: Development Director
The Development Director will help lead fundraising efforts at an average of 40-45 hours per week. This candidate should show a personal passion for music (jazz preferably) and arts education. S/he will have the unique opportunity to support JazzArts through a period of growth and change. The Development Director’s primary responsibilities are to work with the founders, board of director and the Jazz Guild to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of stakeholders and audience members to generate contributed revenue in support of education and performance-based programming. Reporting to the President, the Development Director will be responsible for the following:
Annual Fund Management
- Lead the effort to increase charitable support of JazzArts Charlotte’s education, performance and musician support mission
- Work with President to set annual revenue goals and affirm development activity
- Work with JazzArts team to assist with long-term marketing and fundraising strategies that will sustain the fiscal and operational health of the organization
- Manage calendar of fundraising activity, being responsible for achieving milestones
- Manage a portfolio of 100-150 prospect/donor relationships; ensure best practices are being implemented in stewardship of supporters
- Manage existing and assist JazzArts with creating new corporate sponsorship opportunities
- Serve as a key representative of the organization in the community, including cultivation of donors, funding institutions and government agencies
- Lead and oversee integration of fundraising/community relations with artistic and educational programming
- Assist in the planning, coordination, and evaluation of fundraising events
- Create and distribute written donor appeals and acknowledgements
- Work with JazzArts Grant Writer on new and recurring proposals
- Assists Board leadership as appropriate with the recruitment, education and development of Board members and works closely with Board committees to engage the members in the service of JazzArts Charlotte
- Provide management of the Jazz Guild, engaging them in service to annual constituent acquisition and donation goals
- Provide logistical support for quarterly Jazz Guild events designed to build a sense of belonging for audience members and new constituents
- Identify potential Guild members and orient them to volunteer service
Development Systems Management
- Ensure JazzArts has a strong system for maintaining up-to-date and accurate records of contacts with donors and prospects, overseeing Altru database system and facilitating strong fidelity to data
- Partner with Marketing and Digital Media Program team members on messaging and a moves management model
- Responsible for regular reporting and analysis of fundraising data, progress toward established funding goals
The ideal candidate would have the following capabilities and qualities:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5 years professional experience
- non-profit grant management experience preferred
- Understanding and passion for the organization’s mission
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- High-energy, proactive, self-starting administrator with the disposition to work in a virtual environment
- Detail-oriented with a high standard of work integrity
- Team player who will be a constructive and collegial partner to board, staff and external stakeholders; demonstrated experience managing up
- Proven writing, editing and oral communication skills
- Ability to attend meetings and events during evening hours and weekends as needed
- Tech savvy, proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, and experience with Altru/Raiser’s Edge database platform preferred
JazzArts is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. JazzArts encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.
Beginning January 5, 2021 all inquiries, nominations and applications are to be directed via e-mail at email@example.com. Applications must include a cover letter and CV. Please indicate where you learned of the opportunity. Subject line: JazzArts Development Director Position
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
To learn more about JazzArts Charlotte please visit: www.TheJazzArts.org