Position: Administrative Program Coordinator
Reports To: President and CEO
Organization History: Jazz Arts Initiative (JAI) is a Charlotte-based nonprofit arts organization committed to connecting community and developing an audience for jazz through quality education, performance and musician support. Established in 2009 by co-founders Lonnie and Ocie Davis, JAI strives to serve as a catalyst for cultural enrichment and music education that brings creative inspiration to the lives of people in the Charlotte region.
Since its founding, JAI has grown considerably to include two primary programmatic offerings: The Jazz Room, a four- performance, monthly concert offering in uptown Charlotte taking place on Friday and Saturday nights, and Jazz Academy, comprised of youth workshops and ensembles, camps and outreach to local schools. Earned revenue from the Jazz Room coupled with contributed revenue fuels JAI’s Jazz Academy, which provides jazz music education for thousands of students annually.
Organization Milestones: JAI is at an important inflection point, with encouragement from local funders and audience members, to take a significant step forward in service to its mission. With high quality programming as its hallmark, JAI has a solid organizational foundation to grow. The organization’s leadership has developed a long-term vision of increasing impact through performances, educational programming and musician support, continuing its mantle as Charlotte’s premiere jazz organization.
To achieve this vision, the organization must invest in its infrastructure. In 2017, JAI has developed a strategic business plan to manage growth programmatically and operationally. A dedicated group of volunteers is being convened to serve as the organization’s Jazz Guild, providing relational support of JAI’s effort to increase awareness, acquire new constituents and develop contributed support. The organization is also making a commitment to increased marketing in service to earned revenue from concerts and other performances.
Job Overview: This is a full-time position working 30-35 hour/week plus monthly Jazz Room shows. The successful candidate will be a motivated self-starter who is well organized, creative, and experienced in managing a variety of tasks with excellent customer service skills. The JAI Administrative Program Coordinator will report to the President of the organization. The primary purpose of this position is to handle day to day operations involving program check requests, contractor and merchant payments, e-mail correspondences, and any other duties of an administrative nature. This is a great opportunity for someone with exceptional administrative skill, a passion for music and a keen interest in learning this sector of the nonprofit industry. This is a contracted position and does not include employee benefits or Jazz Arts Initiative employee status.
- Process all artist invoices and agreements for JAI presentations and educational programs
- Coordinate contractor payments and invoices
- Manage bookings and main coordination of school administration for Jazz in Schools Program
- Coordinate collection of program materials and distribution for marketing
- Process JAI payments and reconciliation on a monthly basis
- Manage Jazz Academy registrations and Jazz Room memberships/renewals; manage regular correspondence with these programs
- Support relationship management between JAI and community partners
- Assist President (phone calls, meeting scheduling, e-mail correspondence, program reports and website analytics) and other online initiatives
- Manage and maintain JAI database
- This list of duties and responsibilities is not to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree
- 2+ years work experience in an arts-, education-, and/or business-related field
- A strong personal commitment to the JAI mission and vision
- Positive Outlook; energetic collaborator skilled in building and facilitating relationships
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent organization, inter-personal and professional written and verbal communication skills
- Detailed oriented; ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently
- Computer applications: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop a plus
- Experience with Altru CRM and reporting software a plus
- Familiarity with the Jazz art form, and history (both Classic and Modern) a plus
To Apply: JAI is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. Jazz Arts encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.
All inquiries, nominations and applications are to be directed via email at email@example.com. Applications must include a cover letter and CV/resume. Please indicate where you learned of the opportunity. No phone calls.
To learn more about Jazz Arts Initiative please visit: www.TheJazzArts.org.