Position Summary and Purpose:
The Visitor Experience Associate works with staff in a critical support position involving all aspects of customer service for donors, members and visitors. You must have exceptional customer service acumen and the ability to multi-task, think on your feet and problem solve. Communication skills are critically important, as is attention to detail. The associate will serve at both the Visitor Experience Desk and in the retail Museum Store. The position includes weekend hours and, with notice, may require early mornings or late evenings.
Duties & Responsibilities — Essential Functions:
- Welcome customers warmly, willingly exceeding expectations
- Sell admission tickets using Square systems
- Provide orientation to visitors including Gantt Center history and overview of exhibitions
- Receive and direct switchboard telephone calls
- Manage money and reconcile daily sales reports
- Coordinate all support materials for Visitor Experience including Gantt Center documents
- Provide information on nearby restaurants, entertainment options, transportation, etc.
- Sell memberships
- Conduct docent tours, after training
- Provide support for events/programs with registration tables or serving as a cashier
- Manage data entry for new e-newsletter subscribers
- Send new visitor e-survey
- Maintain attendance records
- Communicate with volunteers, staff and security about activities of the day
- Assist with volunteer support, training and scheduling as needed
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and other data management programs
- Ability to compile letters and documents following brief instructions
- Professional appearance and business casual attire are required
- Must be dependable and on time
Minimum Qualifications for Consideration:
- Education: College graduate, art courses a plus
- Professional Experience: Customer service or retail sales. Hospitality industry is a plus.
- Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Leadership qualities
- Excellent organizational skills and computer savvy.
- Must be flexible and able to work well with others, as well as observe and anticipate needs.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Position requires frequent sitting, standing and walking. May require sitting and working at a computer station for extended periods of time. Requires ability to communicate with others in-person and on the telephone. Manual dexterity needed for using computer keyboard, calculator, switchboard telephone and cash register. Must have adequate vision to operate computer and complete paperwork. May require occasional lifting up to 25 lbs. Must be able and willing to work flexible hours, primarily weekends.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all associated responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions. The Harvey B. Gantt Center reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete, and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the institution.
Candidates that wish to apply to the position can do so through the Indeed posting: https://www.indeed.com/job/visitor-experience-associate-7333be1d7d0646fa