The deadline to apply for Culture Blocks funding for programming taking place from July 2021 – December 2021 has passed. Stay tuned for details on the next application round, opening January 2022, by signing up for our monthly WorkshOpportunities email.
Culture Blocks, a community partnership funded by Mecklenburg County, supports cultural experiences that are planned with resident involvement and take place at libraries, recreation centers, parks, and relevant community spaces. The program engages with creative individuals and organizations with a primary mission of arts, science, and/or history, to present programs in specific geographic areas. NOTE: Due to the public health crisis, many programs are currently taking place virtually. All applications must include contingency plans to be considered for funding.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to collaboration with ASC, community partners, and program participants to deliver arts, science, and/or history experiences. Please consider applying if your program meets the following criteria:
- The programming must begin on or after June 15, 2021 and finish by December 30, 2021.
- The programming must either be delivered virtually or include a contingency plan to be delivered virtually. Applications not including a contingency plan will not be considered for funding.
- The Culture Blocks team works closely with community residents to compile Community Feedback. All applications must align with these themes.
- The programming is free and open to the public.
- The programming is geared toward residents living in one or more of the designated geographic areas, and increases access to creative experiences.
- The program provider is a creative individual (sole proprietor or LLC) or a 501(c)(3) organization in good standing with the IRS.
- The program provider has a recent history of successful public programming (a minimum of twelve months preferred).
- Collaborative programming is welcomed. Organizations working together must identify a single organization to serve as the applicant.
- Religious organizations and institutions of higher education can apply provided the programming reaches a broader audience (not only church membership or faculty/student body) and does not contain proselytizing religious content.
- Neighborhood organizations can apply.
Prior to applying, please consider the following list of requests that are not supported:
- Programming that involves work with PreK-12 children during the school day is not eligible.
- Programming designed to serve as a fundraiser is not eligible.
- Programming that occurs outside of Mecklenburg County is not eligible.
- Organizations or individuals with delinquent paperwork for a previously funded ASC grant in the last five (5) years are not eligible to apply.
- Requests for capital expenditures are not eligible (e.g., property, plants, buildings, technology, or equipment such as laptops, digital cameras, or kilns, etc.). Reasonable exceptions for virtually programming will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Culture Blocks does not fund mileage or mileage reimbursement. Rental of a vehicle to transport large items (e.g., equipment, props, etc.) that do not fit in a personal vehicle is eligible for funding.
- Requests to support an organization’s ongoing staff or faculty salaries are not eligible.
- Costumes and props are not generally funded. However, reasonable exceptions may be considered up to 10% of the total program budget request on a case-by-case basis.
- Food and beverages are not generally funded. However, reasonable exceptions may be considered such as snacks for afterschool youth programs or water for a movement-based experience such as dance.
The deadline to apply for Culture Blocks funding for programming taking place from July 2021 – December 2021 has passed. Stay tuned for details on the next application round, opening January 2022.
Frequently Asked Questions
Funding Recipient Resources
To stay updated on ASC funding opportunities and workshops, sign up for our monthly WorkshOpportunities email.