Position: Museum Registrar
Appointment Type: This is a full-time non-exempt position with benefits for 40 hours per week. Benefits include retirement, vacation and sick leave.
General Statement of Duties
The Gaston County Museum of Art & History is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Museum Registrar. This position is responsible for compiling and maintaining legal documents relating to Museum collections and for maintaining the development and implementation of collection management policies and procedures in accordance with best practices established by the American Alliance of Museums. The Museum Registrar will report to the Museum Director and will provide assistance to the Curator with exhibit development and installation and will work closely with the Director and Assistant Director in providing research for Interpretive Planning.
- Compiles and maintains legal documents relating to the Museum’s collections by ensuring completion of accessioning, follow-up and issue resolution, filing and retrieval to keep legal proof of ownership, documenting preservation and conservation, tracking collections, and ensuring insurance levels are
- Maintains collections database by updating and troubleshooting software, ensures data standards are being met, performs data entry and supplemental backup to ensure database is accurate and up to
- Processes and houses collection acquisition and current holding by following industry standards and ethics, preparing descriptions and condition reports, taking identification and damage photos, and storing objects in appropriate materials to ensure the collection is properly documented and safe for the
- Responsible for care and control of collections on and off site by monitoring temperature and relative humidity, ensuring that proper security measures are in place, verifying standards of conservation, maintaining proper light levels and mitigate agents of deterioration to protect the
- Assists Curator with exhibit preparation and installation by helping with research, compiling possible object choices, helping with exhibit design and layout, helping to create object mounts, hanging art and panels and installing objects, and helping to strike exhibits and prep gallery space for next
- Responsible for Integrated Pest Management by implementing the program, monitoring its progress and resolving any issues to prevent pest infestations and protect
- Assists Curator with transportation of collections and loaned objects by ensuring objects are properly packed to prevent damage and physically transporting the objects by
- Responsible for coordinating, shipping, and receiving of exhibit materials, ensuring proper insurance levels, and coordinating labor
- Maintains research and reproduction requests records for museum and County staff, as well as the public, by data recording, filing and retrieval to document collection
- Responsible for exhibit cleaning and maintenance by using appropriate materials for preservation.
- Provides training and supervision of collections and archives interns and
Knowledge, Abilities & Skills
Applicants must possess a general knowledge of the principles and methods of art and history collections as well as strong skills in research, writing and editing, and organization. The ability to organize work load with minimal supervision and to effectively train and supervise volunteers/interns is preferred. Applicants must be able to work positively and effectively in a close environment with a small staff and volunteers.
Desired Training & Experience
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) in History, Museum Studies or a related field is essential. A Master’s degree is preferred. Formal course work in the area of collections or other museum related experience is desired. Experience in exhibit design and/or graphic arts is a plus. Candidates must have knowledge of, and the ability to manage museum collection management software. Knowledge of PastPerfect museum software is strongly preferred.
The Gaston County Museum is committed to ensuring equal opportunity employment and seeks to hire talented staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations and gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, and national origins.
The ability to lift at least 25 pounds overhead, and walk up stairs is required.
Visit https://egov.gastongov.com/JobApplications/ to fill out an application and submit a resume and cover letter by Friday, August 9th at 5pm. Only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.