POSITION TITLE: Membership Manager
REPORTS TO: Director, Annual Fund
FSLA Status: Exempt
The Membership Manager is a key member of Discovery Place’s development team and is responsible for managing and growing the organization’s membership programs as the beginning phase of the donor pipeline. The Membership Manager is responsible for leading Discovery Place’s Membership team in achieving a $1.9 million annual revenue goal; and develops strategies to support the acquisition, stewardship, and retention of current and prospective members.
The Membership Manager values building personal relationships with members, and works with the Director, Annual Fund and Senior Director, Development to support Discovery Place’s overall fundraising strategy and donor pipeline. The Membership Manager will be responsible for engaging members through mission-related activities and events, leading to increased financial commitments from the member base. The Membership Manager will implement promotions, campaigns, and incentives to acquire new members and improve retention rates. The Membership Manager is tasked with hiring and managing front-line Membership professionals for the organization’s Membership team, and for building a company culture that is customer focused. This position is tasked with writing policies and procedures for Discovery Place’s Membership team and front-line sales staff and provides training for those individuals. Training is achieved through monthly site visits to each of Discovery Place’s four Museums.
The Membership Manager reports to the Director, Annual Fund, further underscoring our belief that Members are the beginning of the donor pipeline and it is from our Members that we find our best prospects. The Membership Manager will work within the development team and with other departments of Discovery Place to achieve long-range Membership goals set by Discovery Place’s executive team and board of trustees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive Membership team to successfully reach a $1.9 million annual revenue goal for the Membership department
- Conduct the Membership department in a manner that is customer-focused with an emphasis on building relationships and retaining donors
- Create a team that is focused on customer-service with an emphasis on relationship-building
- Ensure that Membership communications are accurate and timely
- Draft membership policies and sales procedures for Discovery Place as a whole, as well as for the Membership team specifically
- Train front-line staff at each of Discovery Place’s four Museums and at the Membership desk to ensure all guest service staff members are equipped to provide excellent customer service to our members and prospective members
- Develops, tracks, implements, and reports on Membership strategies and promotions including Memberships trends, Member benefits and usage and recurring inquires to the Director, Annual Fund
- Manage the renewal process via mail and email in collaboration with the Director, Annual Fund and the Director, Marketing
- Implement and manage annual staff sales incentive programs across all four Discovery Place Museums
- Individually sell 600 Memberships via front-end or back-end sale annually
- Ensure the delivery of benefits to each member (currently 11,000 households)
- Implement strategies to engage members at each of our sites – Discovery Place Science, Discovery Place Nature, Discovery Place Kids-Huntersville, Discovery Place Kids-Rockingham
- Hires and supervises a team of Membership associates responsible for processing all Memberships as well as providing customer service to our Members
- Sets sales goals for Membership staff which equate to approximately 20% of total Membership sales annually
- Participate in staff meetings and other vital administrative, promotional, and organization-related meetings and activities
- Provide general support to the Development team
- Maintains Membership processing log; prints and activates the web and PEO Membership process for all Discovery Place locations; including responding to Member inquiries via online transactions, and inputting Member data into Discovery Place’s Altru Database.
- Manage the Membership teams’ customer service interactions with members via the Membership email box and voicemail
- Assist the Membership Team with Membership related tasks; processing, mailing, database entry, organization of Membership materials.
- Provides frontline service to Members at Discovery Place’s Membership Desk throughout the week
- The Membership Manager is in a frontline role at Discovery Place and is expected to be on-site when the Museums are open. The Membership Manager’s 5-day work schedule regularly includes one or both weekend days.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director, Annual Fund
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for Discovery Place’s charitable mission
- 3 years of experience in membership program management and fundraising
- Associates degree
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in word and excel
- Ability to perform prospect research
- Proficiency in Altru or similar fundraising database
- Ability to work both as a team member and autonomously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, results-oriented environment
- Ability to work regular weekend shifts
- Outgoing individual comfortable engaging with the public
- Energetic professional with great relationship-building skills who can collaborate with a range of colleagues across our organization to deliver a top-notch Membership program at Discovery Place
- Aptitude for sales, marketing, and brand positioning
- Knowledge of event operations
- Ability to analyze data and utilize the information to inform decision-making
- Must be able to lift boxes up to 20 lbs.
- Must be able to drive to off-site meetings and Museum site locations throughout Mecklenburg county
Follow this link to begin your application process.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.