We create exceptional theatre experiences, inspiring generations to explore the wonder of their world.
Children’s Theatre of Charlotte (CTC) is proud to be an organization where a diverse mix of talented, committed, and enthusiastic people gather to do their best work. As we inspire generations to explore the wonder of our world, we desire to see the diversity and amazing, expanding tapestry of this world and community reflected in all our programming, behind the scenes, and in our team members, board and volunteers.
We recognize theatre as a means of holding up a mirror to society, and that all people’s race, ethnicity, culture, background, and beliefs should be celebrated and reflected onstage, on staff, and in the audience. Employment opportunities are available to all, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, veteran’s status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability. In addition, we will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of otherwise qualified employees and applicants with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.
Please submit your application at: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/586537/Childrens-Theatre-of-Charlotte/Production-Stage-Manager-non-Equity
Along with your employment application, please attach a resume and cover letter. Applicants who do not submit both resume and cover letter will not be considered. Anticipated Start Date: August 1, 2021.
WHAT WE DO…
CTC, in Charlotte, North Carolina, is a national leader in Theatre for Young Audiences and is recognized for the breadth and strength of its programs. We are dedicated to creating vibrant and engaging theatre experiences, both on the stage and in the classroom. With the COVID pandemic seemingly on the wane, CTC is excited to ramp back up our production efforts. Our typical season consists of large book musicals, as well as more intimate productions. Generally, we produce 7 – 9 mainstage shows, 2 elementary school tours, and 1 – 2 preschool tours annually. While, we are a professional theatre creating shows for children, not by children, however we generally cast student actors in one or two shows throughout the season. Our production season runs September to June.
WHAT YOU’LL DO…
The Production Stage Manager (PSM) serves as the communication and tactical hub for our stage management department and production related activities. This is a year-round, regular, full-time position reporting to our Director of Production. Our PSM will:
- Work closely with Artistic Director and Director of Production to achieve artistic goals, ensuring consistent production quality throughout the life of all productions.
- In collaboration with Director of Production, as leader and supervisor to support and direct seasonal stage managers. This includes hiring, onboarding, training, scheduling, assigning and overseeing their work, ensuring adherence to CTC’s high standard of professionalism, and maintaining production values throughout the season.
- In collaboration with the Director of Production and production department managers, develop talented and dedicated run crew, wardrobe crew and other deck personnel. Provide timely feedback about these staff to their supervisors to ensure a great backstage team.
- Assist the Director of Production in the creation of the season budget and calendar. Production operations and administration duties, as assigned.
- Serves as the Stage Manager for productions as assigned.
WE’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU IF…
You have at least three years professional Stage Management experience calling both musicals and plays. You have a clear understanding of the artistic process and excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and diplomacy skills.
- You are enthusiastic, goal driven, unflappable under pressure, and can strike a balance between juggling all the details and executing them successfully. You are at your best when working on a variety of projects simultaneously. You thrive when troubleshooting and engaging in creative thinking to overcome challenges.
- You are an experienced, organized, detail-oriented, and strong leader/supervisor, with solid stage management skills and abilities. As an active and compassionate listener, bridge builder, creative problem solver, and organized professional, you are committed to providing a collaborative, productive work environment.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment that, at times, requires long hours and irregular schedules.
- You are people-oriented with the experience and ability to motivate and inspire others. You are receptive to new ideas, you can develop, nurture, and leverage effective and productive relationships with CTC Staff and guest artists.
- Strong and proven computer skills.
- You are excited to lead through a lens of equity, cultural awareness, and sensitivity.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- OSHA 10
- 5+ years of professional stage management experience
- Worked as part of the staff, whether seasonal or full-time, at an institutional theatre
- History of mentorship
Salary & Benefits
$40,000/year. Children’s Theatre of Charlotte offers a full scope of health and welfare benefits, paid time off and holidays.