CTC is proud to be an organization where a diverse mix of talented, committed and enthusiastic people gather to do their best work. We celebrate the glorious richness of our world by cultivating Equity, Diversity, and Inclusivity as we create exceptional theatre experiences.
CTC, one of the nation’s largest, fully producing professional theatre companies for youth, is accepting applications for a year-round Cutter-Draper to join the Costume Shop team. This is a regular, full time, exempt position with a benefit package. We will begin reviewing applications on March 1. Job start date on or about July 1, 2019. We will have a representative at the USITT Conference in March and will be conducing interviews on site.
CTC at a glance…
- We are a professional theatre for young audience with a production budget of $1.4 million and organizational budget of over $5 million.
- We engage professional adult actors and, in one to two shows per season, also include youth actors in the cast.
- We serve nearly 300,000 young people and families in the Charlotte region and are dedicated to creating vibrant and engaging theatre experiences, both on the stage and in the classroom.
- Our performance spaces include the McColl Family Theatre (550 seats) and the Wells Fargo Playhouse (270 seats) at the ImaginOn facility, which also houses a full library for children and youth.
- Each season, we mount 11 full-scale productions for public and school audiences, present 2-3 guest artists, mount a Touring Company production and provide theatre education programming.
Work with Us…
- Perform cutting, draping, flat patterning and construction; make alterations as needed. Assist with costume repairs. Instruct and oversee other shop employees who are cutting, draping, constructing, altering and finishing costumes.
- Utilize shop standards and guidelines for patterning, construction and safety.
- Collaborate with the Costume Shop Manager to create or find all the costume pieces.
- Supervise and/or attend fittings of constructed or pulled costumes.
- Attend rehearsals, dress rehearsals, preview performances and staff meetings.
- Ensure that costumes maintain their appearance and are appropriately cleaned by supervising costume maintenance during and after productions.
- Promote preventive maintenance of costumes, materials, supplies, machinery and tools.
What we’re looking for…
- Determined, enthusiastic and energetic costume professional with a broad working knowledge of all aspects of theatre production.
- Knowledge of textiles and costume history.
- Thorough understanding of the costume design and construction processes and all the related aspects of the overall theatre production process.
- Specialized training or experience with tailoring, altering and original pattern creation.
- Familiarity with typical equipment found in a theatrical costume shop, including, but not limited to: sewing machines, overlock machines, steamers, hand tools.
- Strong organizational and budgeting skills.
- Ability to work productively under time pressures and meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s Degree or a Certificate of Completion from a suitable training program, and 2-4 years’ experience in a similar position required.
- Excellent communication skills –written, oral, visual.
TO APPLY: Visit bit.ly/CTC-Cutter-Draper.