TITLE: Youth Orchestra Programs Coordinator-Project Harmony
REPORTS TO: Director of Youth Orchestra Programs, Charlotte Symphony
START DATE: TBD
ABOUT THE CHARLOTTE SYMPHONY
Led by internationally renowned Music Director Christopher Warren-Green, the Charlotte Symphony is the largest performing arts organization in the region, supporting 60 full-time musicians in a 37-week season. Core programming includes concerts in our Classical, Pops, and Family series.
As part of our commitment to serve the entire region, the CSO performs everywhere from parks and schools to breweries, and senior care centers. We passionately believe that music, accessible to all and experienced in many forms, unifies and enriches our entire community. We are deeply committed to our focus on diversity, equity and inclusion, and look to every aspect of the organization, from our mainstage concerts to our community and education work, to reflect this commitment.
We actively nurture the next generation of musicians and music lovers through our youth education programs. We support two signature programs for young people. Project Harmony, in partnership with Arts+, is a music and leadership program aimed at expanding the vision of what’s possible in the lives of area youth, serving nearly 200 children in East, West and Southwest Charlotte. The Charlotte Symphony Youth Orchestras offers extraordinary music education in pursuit of musical excellence. Our Youth Orchestras are inclusive, diverse and accessible to all students, regardless of financial resources.
We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
Under guidance from the Director of Youth Orchestra Programs, the Youth Orchestra Programs Coordinator- Project Harmony is responsible for the day to day management and coordination of Project Harmony while supporting the Youth Orchestra Programs department to develop youth orchestras in alignment with the Charlotte Symphony’s commitment to community engagement.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates with site contacts, Charlotte Symphony staff, Arts+ staff, and Project Harmony staff and teachers; initiates communication and sets up meetings
- Assists the Director of Youth Orchestra Programs to manage the Project Harmony site coordinators, CSO teaching staff, interns and volunteers
- Ensures all program sites are operating according to established safety, operational, and behavioral protocols
- Visits sites regularly (when program is in person)
- Manages student engagement and development and implementation of behavior management systems; oversees attendance and student records
- Organizes parent meetings, events, and communications in collaboration with site coordinators
- Collaborates with music instructors to build a welcoming, positive, musical community and program culture inspired by the ideals of El Sistema
- Assists in social media, working with Youth Orchestra Programs and Education and Community Engagement teams
- Manages the inventory, upkeep, and organization of instruments at program sites and storage unit; takes instruments in for repair as needed
- Assists Director of Youth Orchestra Programs with future plans for the program
- Manages collection, analysis, and summarization of assessment and evaluation data with an evaluator
- Coordinates program promotion and documentation
- Manages student administration, recruitment, and enrollment processes with site coordinators; prepares materials and implements plans
- Assists with development and management of yearly program budgets; purchases supplies and music books for programs as needed
- Organizes and produces concerts and events in collaboration with staff and partners; coordinates and attend student functions such as field trips
- Manages general bookkeeping: tracks receipts and expenses, submits biweekly payroll
- Manages student administration, recruitment, and enrollment processes with site coordinators; prepares materials and implement plans
- Manages calendars and develops program schedules
- Organizes and produces concerts and events in collaboration with staff and partners; coordinates and attends student functions such as field trips
- Attends meetings and professional development sessions as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community; experience working in high-needs communities
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong commitment to El Sistema’s philosophy of social change through music
- Understanding of constructive behavior management skills and teaching pedagogy
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and handle unexpected situations effectively
- Good virtual skills
- Positive attitude and flexibility
- Ability to work nights/weekends for Project Harmony, CSYO rehearsals and concerts, and CSO program events as needed
- Experience working in youth development programs and/or education
- The ability to lift/move up to 10 pounds (chairs, instruments, stands, )
- Experience in El Sistema-inspired programs
- Knowledge of music pedagogies, instruments, and beginning repertoire
- Fluency in Spanish (preferable)
- Experience leading groups of children; ability to effectively supervise group
Interested candidates should forward a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Youth Orchestra Programs Coordinator-Project Harmony in the subject line, along with a short cover note telling us why you want to work for the CSO. Applications accepted via email only, no phone calls please.