Title: Project Harmony Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Youth Orchestra Programs, Charlotte Symphony
Status: Part-time / weekday afternoons
Start Date: TBD
About The Charlotte Symphony: Led by internationally renowned Music Director Christopher Warren-Green, the Charlotte Symphony is the largest performing arts organization in the region, supporting 59 full-time musicians in a 37-week season.
Core programming runs from September through May and includes Classical, Pops, and Family series, alongside annual favorites Magic of Christmas and Handel’s Messiah during the holiday each season. We also serve as the soundtrack to our community’s ballet and opera productions.
As part of our commitment to serve the entire region, the CSO performs everywhere from parks and schools to jails, breweries, and senior care centers. We passionately believe that music, accessible to all and experienced in many forms, unifies and enriches our entire community. Longstanding Pops at Symphony Park rounds out each season; and our popular On Tap series at a local brewery and CSO On the Go neighborhood series mark an important expansion of our core programming, aimed at bringing an intimate and affordable orchestra experience to our wider community.
We actively nurture the next generation of musicians and music lovers through our youth education programs. Each season, the Charlotte Symphony Youth Orchestras present several concerts, including a signature side-by-side performance with professional CSO musicians.
Project Harmony, Inspired by the renowned El Sistema youth and community development program of Venezuela, serves nearly 200 children with the fewest resources and greatest need through a free afterschool orchestra training program.
Summary Description: With the Director of Youth Orchestra Programs and the Youth Orchestra Manager, the coordinator is responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations of Project Harmony sites’ manage staff, and coordinating, communications, and rehearsals. He or she will help ensure the highest quality experience for students and families, supporting the social and behavioral goals of the program as well as the El Sistema ideals of musical excellence and social inclusion. A partnership between Charlotte Symphony and Community School of the Arts, Project Harmony builds pathways to success for Charlotte-area youth, offering free after-school youth orchestra programs in high-needs communities throughout Charlotte.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Visits sites regularly
- Assist Youth Orchestra Programs Manager with management of Project Harmony site coordinators and provide support for teachers
- Assist in insuring program sites are operating according to established safety, operational, and behavioral protocols
- Assist with student engagement and development and implementation of behavior management systems; oversee attendance and student records; follow up with site coordinators and/or families as needed
- Collaborate with music instructors to build a welcoming, positive musical community and program culture inspired by the ideals of El Sistema
- Assist Youth Orchestra Programs Manager with inventory, upkeep, and organization of instruments at program sites and storage unit; take instruments in for repair as needed
- Manage student administration, recruitment, and enrollment processes with site coordinators; prepare materials and implement plans
- Assist Youth Orchestra Programs Manager in the collection, analysis, and summarization of assessment and evaluation data
- Help organize and produce concerts and events in collaboration with staff and partners; coordinate and attend student functions such as field trips
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community; experience working in underserved communities
- Fluency in Spanish
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and handle unexpected situations effectively
- Ability to work nights/weekends for program events as needed.
- Experience working in youth development programs and/or education
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter to Aram Kim Bryan, Director of Youth Orchestra Programs, Charlotte Symphony, if interested in applying for the Project Harmony Coordinator position: email@example.com. Applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis.