Charlotte Latin School is seeking a Technical Director to begin in the 2021-2022 academic year. The Technical Director is a newly created position. This faculty member will be an integral part of Latin’s Performing Arts Department bringing theatrical spaces to life through design, build, coordination and maintenance of production sets. The Technical Director will also teach Technical Theater courses in both Upper School and Middle School.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate vendors to support theatrical productions, including timeline for services from initial concept through load out.
- Maintain working theatrical spaces (auditorium, black box, and shop) to ensure safety and functionality.
- Provide supervision of student actors and technical theater students during productions.
- Provide thorough rehearsal notes to vendors and directors.
- Assist with budget management for productions and event spaces.
- Design and build simple theatrical sets as well as coordinate rented sets and props.
- Mentor student designers and provide support for their work.
- Maintain safe working space for all build sites.
- Provide sound and light support for events as needed.
- Stay current with technical theater trends and technology.
- Teach Technical Theater course(s) in Upper School and Middle School (including clubs or other like activities).
- Support technical elements of theater courses (film-making, design, student direction).
- Collaborate with Performing Arts faculty to provide sequential curriculum in Technical Theater.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Theater preferred
- 2+ years experience preferred
- Or a combination of both
- Possess design and build skills for simple theatrical sets
- Expertise to coordinate rented sets and props, including working knowledge of fly systems
- Working knowledge of current Technical Theater trends
- Exhibit a love of working with children in this age group
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- The ability to build a strong rapport with colleagues and serve as a collaborative team player
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Adherence to the highest level of professionalism by demonstrating honesty, integrity, and maturity
- Strong desire to participate in the whole life of the school
- Ability to work nights and weekends
To Apply: Submit your application online via Charlotte Latin School’s website.