Celebrating 50 years, Charlotte Ballet is seeking a Director of Artistic Operations to help us fulfill the organization’s mission of providing artistically excellent programming to diverse audiences of Charlotte, the Southeast region, and while on tour across the nation. This role will inspire and support the environment for Charlotte Ballet artists and external creatives, create and manage multi-year artistic calendars and budget implementation, negotiate and process all artistic contracts according to terms, including any required immigration or travel requirements, and submit bi-weekly payroll for company artists, including overtime review. The Director of Artistic Operations will also act as a liaison for external contacts, internal departments, and support Board communication, as well as manage touring opportunities with a goal of net impact to budget.
Please note: This position may require significant work time during evenings, weekends and some holidays.
Due to current pandemic circumstances and acknowledging the highest care for our employees, students, patrons, and partners, Charlotte Ballet is requiring any successful candidates to be fully vaccinated. Candidates should be prepared to submit proof of vaccination upon hire, barring any valid medical or religious exemption from the COVID-19 vaccination process.
The Director of Artistic Operations will report directly to the Charlotte Ballet Executive Director and Artistic Director.
Start date of employment: Negotiable, January 1, 2022
- Create and consistently manage artistic calendars and budgets with 36 month planning periods, including related reporting for active budget to Charlotte Ballet leadership. Negotiate and execute all artistic contracts as well as all travel and visa management for creatives as required. Oversee artistic department budgets and reporting; updates and submits projected changes monthly to leadership with any description of changes necessary
- Works collaboratively with all internal departments to ensure effective communication to artistic leadership and requested production support. Negotiate and manage all outside engagements, including Companies I & II, individual artists (presenting and touring opportunities). Act as primary contact for touring agent for any support required.
- Prepares required documentation for, and attends meetings of the Board of Trustees where assigned, and senior staff meetings as required by Charlotte Ballet leadership. (Acts as liaison for Board to Artistic Director as needed). Supports Artistic Director with communications to Board committee.
- Negotiate and manage execution of all artistic contracts within current budget, as well as all travel and immigration management for creatives as required.
- Coordinate and manage Artistic Director travel and administrative support, including monthly purchase card coding and backup collection.
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts Management, Arts Administration, or related field. Additional experience in nonprofit management or related fields preferred.
- Minimum 5 years nonprofit management experience; preferably in artistic management.
- Demonstrate attention to detail and strong organizational and analytical skills, as well as outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Clear communicator. Presents information effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Competent in generation of production paperwork/history/record keeping.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and with varied personalities individually, as well as in team setting.
- Actively listens to concerns and problems, helps provide appropriate solutions. Follows up to ensure positive outcomes.
- Demonstrates diplomacy and tact in all interactions.
- Faces difficult situations with tenacity.
- Ability to manage, observe, evaluate, and instruct staff.
- Demonstrates sound management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Work well under pressure while managing deadlines.
- Eye for detail.
- Must have valid driver’s license with proper insurance.
- Experience with servicing and maintaining a wide variety of machines as related to costume construction.
- Helpful to have experience in costume crafts including but not limited to: textile dyeing and manipulation, millinery, leatherworking, jewelry, and beading.
The Director of Artistic Operations is Full-Time Exempt employee.
Compensation & Benefits
- $75,000 – $95,000 / annual
- Benefits include: PTO, Sick Time, 403(b) Retirement Plan, Medical/Dental/Vision, Short/Long Term Disability, FSA
Application will be open until position is filled.
TO APPLY: Visit this posting on Indeed.
Charlotte Ballet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, we recognize our responsibility to embrace and promote Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) throughout all aspects and levels of our organization including artistic programming, talent recruiting and retention, training, workplace culture, and community engagement.