Position: Director of Marketing and Communications
Employee Status: Regular full time; exempt
Reports To: Executive Director
About Charlotte Ballet: Charlotte Ballet’s team is a group of individuals with a common passion: creating artistically excellent programming from beautiful classics to thought-provoking contemporary works that push the boundaries of ballet. From artists who have dazzled audiences and critics the world over, to teachers and educators sharing the joy of ballet as an art form, we proudly call Charlotte our home.
Job Purpose: Director of Marketing & Communications oversees functions related to the marketing, sales, and communications of Charlotte Ballet performances and all company initiatives, with a focus on increased revenue, audience development and elevated public awareness.
In collaboration and partnership with Director of Philanthropy, build thoughtful and comprehensive communications strategies to strengthen relationships with donors, patrons, families, community members and other individuals who engage with Charlotte Ballet.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Management/Administration (40%): Supervise and oversee marketing department including associate director of marketing, patron engagement manager, digital media producer, content marketing specialist. Create and maintain marketing department budget.Oversee creation of all marketing and communications strategies including ad plans, direct marketing plans, content marketing plans, digital marketing campaigns, promotional campaigns, playbill development and execution, data projects and messaging, including but not limited to development activities. In partnership with marketing team, oversee vendor relationships including designers, printers, consultants, photographers and box office.
Serve as brand steward for Charlotte Ballet through consistent review and evaluation of marketing and communication materials.
- Strategic Planning & Execution (20%): Serve as board liaison for the marketing department and committee. Works with staff and Board leadership on long term communications and marketing strategies to ensure cross-department projects are inclusive and balanced, including outside consultants.
- Media Relations (20%): Plan and manage media relations including distributing of
media pitches, media coordination and media database.
- Creative (20%): Works with leadership, creative agency, designers and photographers on the creation of design concepts and implementation through all marketing and communication materials. Plan, coordinate and oversee photo shoots and onsite photography.
Positions Supervised: Associate director of marketing, patron engagement manager, digital
media producer, content marketing specialist
Internal Contacts: executive director and artistic director; director of philanthropy; leadership team and all other team members; Board
External Contacts: Media (Ad Reps, Publishers, Writers), Printers & other vendors, graphic designers, photographers, performing arts center team; booking agent
Education Level and Focus: Bachelors Degree, Marketing; Communications; Business
Years and Type of Related Experience Required: 7-10 years
- Actively participates in team meetings and activities including attending meetings, supporting colleagues by offering information, and assisting appropriate projects and initiatives
- Exhibits excellent verbal and written communications skillset necessary to write clear and concise correspondence, proposals, applications and reports
- Foresees roadblocks in goal meeting and works quickly in problem solving to achieve goals in timely manner
- Works independently and to accept responsibility for designated assignments
- Completes complex projects at a high level of excellence
- Coordinates daily activities with team members
- Promotes Charlotte Ballet both in and out of the office
- Utilizes tact and diplomacy in all interactions, including the appropriate treatment of sensitive or confidential information and equal and fair treatment and opportunity for all
- Acts as a good steward of Charlotte Ballet’s funding
- Plans and executes complex projects both autonomously and collaboratively
- Maintains a solid understanding of marketing, communications and nonprofit trends
- Displays genuine enthusiasm and regularly take steps to measure and enhance work
- Comfortable working with deadlines and being flexible when unexpected opportunities arise
- Carries out projects from concept to completion, including information gathering, content development, review, editing and approvals
To Apply: Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is March 15, 2108.