Part-Time Offsite Exhibitions Curator
Charlotte Art League (CAL) is seeking a talented and enthusiastic Offsite Exhibitions Curator to develop the next stage of our CAL Curates program. CAL Curates expands upon an existing offsite curation service with several key partners in the community. The program will contract with existing and new partners to curate local artwork for partnering organizations’ lobbies and offices. Work rotates on a quarterly basis. Newly, the program will also showcase the quarterly artists at each venue with a gallery opening event.
The Offsite Exhibitions Curator will be an innovative thinker and spokesperson for CAL and its members. S/he will be responsible for developing relationships with local businesses, other nonprofits, and/or public entities to promote the CAL Curates program.
This is a part-time (20 hours a week) position. The Executive Director shall determine the actual work schedule based on the needs of the program. Evening and weekend availability is sometimes required.
About Charlotte Art League
CAL is a 501(c)3 non-profit visual arts organization that offers a unique mix of open working studios, classes, and community outreach programs along with a public gallery.
Since 1965, CAL has served as an accessible gateway to the arts experience for art lovers of all ages and backgrounds. We are Charlotte’s oldest nonprofit art gallery and organization. After residing in South End Charlotte for over 20 years, CAL has relocated near the NoDa/North End neighborhoods
Excellent interpretive, writing, presentation/public speaking, and communication skills, and the ability to conduct research toward identifying new partnering organizations. The successful candidate will be fluent in best professional practices, customer engagement, and nonprofit program coordination. The ideal candidate will assist with coordination of all aspects of the program and work collaboratively with the Executive Director and Assistant Director. Experience with art, art history, museum studies, account management, curatorial services, or a related field are preferred.
● Develop a roster of organization partners that participate in the CAL Curates program.
● Coordinate administrative aspects of offsite exhibitions, including preparation of contracts and curation of quarterly work for each participating partner.
● Ensure all artwork is delivered, installed, and removed/exchanged in a timely and professional manner.
● Coordinate all communications with participating artists.
● Work with CAL staff and volunteers to coordinate event logistics for quarterly gallery shows.
● Maintain active relationships with artists, community members, donors, and professional colleagues.
● Build partnerships that enhance community engagement.
● Other job-related duties as assigned.
Job Requirements/Knowledge and skills
● Experience in art, art history, museum studies, account management, curatorial services, or a related field.
● Knowledge of the methods, techniques, and procedures involved in the interpretation and exhibition of art for diverse audiences.
● Strong written/oral communication skills and public speaking abilities.
● Ability to manage a budget and work within the means of the gallery.
● Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, visitors, volunteers, donors, collectors, professional colleagues, and other members of the community.
● Strong organizational, planning, and research skills.
● Must have excellent work habits, including a willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done, especially when important deadlines cause greater than normal departmental pressures.
● Ability to work in a shared/open space office environment
● Ability to do some heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs)
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest, resume, references, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please note “Offsite Exhibitions Curator” in the subject line.
Charlotte Art League is an equal opportunity employer. Your skin color, your creed, sexual orientation, or age make no difference to us. As long as you can do the job at hand, come as you are.