Executive Director Job Description
The Charlotte Art League (CAL) is a 501c3 nonprofit organization serving Charlotte, NC and the surrounding areas. CAL is dedicated to enriching the cultural vitality of Charlotte through visual arts.
Position Title: Executive Director
Reports to: CAL Board of Directors
About CAL: CAL is a visual arts organization that offers a unique mix of open working studios, classes, and community outreach programs along with a public gallery. CAL manages a 9,500 sq/ft gallery space including working studios and display wall rentals for 85 artists; produces workshops and classes annually; and manages community and private events.
Since 1965, CAL has served as an accessible gateway to the arts experience for art lovers of all ages and backgrounds. We are Charlotte’s oldest nonprofit art gallery and organization.
Position Summary: The Executive Director (ED), as the lead staff person reporting to the Board of Directors, is primarily responsible for day-to-day activities to achieve the mission, vision, and strategic plan of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
Organization Mission and Planning:
● Works with Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
● Responsible for the enhancement of CAL’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, nonprofit, and private organizations.
● Keeps abreast of developments in the arts, non-profit management and governance, as well as philanthropy and fund development.
● Works with the Board President to enable the Board to fulfill its governance functions and facilitates the optimum performance by the Board, its committees and individual Board members.
● Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
● With the Board President, focuses Board attention on long-range strategic issues.
Financial, Tax, Risk and Facilities Management:
● Assures adequate control and accounting of funds, including developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
● Works with the Board to prepare an annual budget and see that the agency functions within its financial guidelines, limitations and appropriate risk management standards.
● Assures maintenance of office records and documents and ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and reporting requirements (such as annual information returns, payroll withholding and reporting).
● Provides general oversight of all CAL activities, manages the day-to-day operations, and assures a smoothly functioning, efficient organization.
● Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
● Oversees the recruitment, hiring, development, promotion, evaluation and termination of employees.
● Maintain a climate which attracts, keeps and motivates top-quality staff and volunteers.
● Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations.
● Oversee individual donor and sponsorship fundraising campaigns.
● Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
● Bachelor’s Degree
● Five or more years nonprofit management experience
● Financial management and budgeting experience
● Experience building relationships with donors and supporters, ideally including soliciting donations
● Strong administrative and organizational skills, including general Microsoft
● Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
● Strategic planning experience
● Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
● Master’s Degree (preferred)
● Knowledge of and experience in Charlotte’s arts and culture landscape, including peers, funders, champions, issues and artists
● Experience working with or supporting visual artists and creative professionals
To Apply: Visit Charlotte Art League’s website.