Job Description: Assistant Director for Individual Giving
Department: Development and Events
Reports To: Deputy Director for Development
The Bechtler Museum of Modern Art seeks an enthusiastic and self-motivated Assistant Director for Individual Giving. The museum is committed to hiring talented individuals who share in the vision of sharing the joy of modern art to inspire, inform, and enhance cultural and intellectual life. The successful candidate will display a curiosity to learn, a passion for modern art, positive energy, and the ability to work closely with a small team of committed colleagues. Located in Charlotte, North Carolina, the Bechtler is a mid-sized museum with a permanent collection of European and American modern art.
The Bechtler Museum of Modern Art is hiring an Assistant Director of Individual Giving, responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual donors and members to advance the mission and strategic goals of the Bechtler.
The Assistant Director for Individual Giving will provide day-to-day stewardship and growth initiatives of the museum’s membership base. The Assistant Director will create and implement annual work plans for fundraising objectives to accomplish organizational goals in the following areas: membership giving with a focus on growing and stewardship of the general membership and Firebird levels; executing the annual fund campaign; and cultivating individual donors for additional organizational support.
The position works in tandem within a Development Office staff members responsible for raising $1.5+ million annually from individual, corporate, foundation and federal funding sources.
- Spearhead all individual giving programs and activities at the museum, including efforts in donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, recognition, stewardship, and retention.
- Evaluate and analyze effectiveness of fundraising strategies for growing funder support.
- Collaborate to create robust and effective member marketing materials.
- Work with the Events staff to plan, promote, and implement member events.
- Contact membership for retention, upgrade, and acknowledgment purposes with a friendly and professional demeanor.
- Provide counsel, support, and recommendations on strategic engagement with members.
- Assist Executive Director and Deputy Director for Development in support and organization of member trips.
- Oversee the museum’s young affiliate support program. Organize Steering Committee meetings and manage their events.
- Represent the Bechtler at community meetings and events as needed.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of best practices in the cultural and nonprofit sectors as well as the field of philanthropy.
Characteristics of Successful Candidates
- A collaborative spirit, positive attitude, sense of humor and desire to work as part of a team are critical.
- Exceptionally high personal and professional integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills. This position requires the personal presence and poise to inspire comfort and confidence among board members, volunteers, members and donors.
- Ability to articulate the Bechtler’s case for support with passion and persuasion, along with a genuine desire to build lasting relationships.
- Maintain confidentiality of all internal materials and information.
- Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to work independently or collaboratively as the situation demands.
- Reflective and proactively work to grow and improve; a strong “learner” orientation.
- Great at connecting and building deep relationships.
- Strong motivation, initiative, and the ability to prioritize.
Education and Work History Requirements:
Education Required: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience Required: Four (4) – Seven (7) years in fundraising environments with proven results for growth of individual giving.
Please send a letter of interest and resume via email to:
Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
420 S. Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28202