Bechtler Museum of Modern Art Position Description
Title: Exhibitions Manager
Reports to: Director of Collections
Commencement Date: Exempt/Full Time
Salary: commensurate with experience: benefits as defined by the museum’s employee handbook/personnel policy
Job Summary: Manage all aspects of exhibition preparation, design, installation and de-installation in collaboration with the Director of Collections and the Curator. Manage and oversee all exhibition records, display requirements and collection accessories supply and inventory such as pedestals, frames and mounts.
General list of duties:
- Serves as the art handler and preparator for museum. Duties include but aren’t limited to object moves on and off site, gallery maintenance and upkeep, assisting other departments with display needs.
- Collaborate with the Curator to create layouts and mock-ups of exhibitions in digital and other formats, as requested.
- Hire and manage exhibition crews and contractors for installations and de-installations, such as painters, lighting crew, additional art handlers, riggers, equipment rental, construction crews, pedestal makers, etc.
- Design, execute and/or commission exhibition display needs including but not limited to AV, temporary walls, pedestals, mounts, and vitrines.
- Manage all museum framing needs. Create and maintain frame inventory in both fine arts database and excel worksheet and perform framing refits in house when possible.
- Oversee the design and production of all exhibition texts such as wall texts, tombstone labels, didactics, and other graphics in collaboration with the museum’s graphic designer and Curator.
- Conducts weekly cleaning of the galleries, repairs object mounts on display as needed and performs gallery touch ups when required.
- Manages records of all exhibitions and their details both digitally and in hardcopy.
- Manage inventory and maintenance of tools and equipment in workroom and submits supply orders when required.
- Assists the Director of collections with the movement of artworks in storage and inventory and record keeping of artworks in fine arts database as required.
- Oversees the storage of pedestals and crates and serves as primary load in and load out staff.
- Additional duties as directed.
- Full understanding of museum standards with the ability to install and deinstall according to those standards.
- BA or BFA required; MA or MFA preferred or equivalent of 3-5 years’ work experience in a museum or gallery setting.
- Valid U.S. driver’s licence.
- Must be able lift a minimum of 15-20 lbs.
- Must be comfortable on ladders and with the use of power tools.
- Excellent computer skills required, familiarity with Adobe lnDesign and Google Sketch-up preferred.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter to Shannon White, Director of Collections at Shannon.White@bechtler orq. No phone calls please