Job Title: Assistant Curator
Department: Art & Education
Reports To: Deputy Director for Art & Education
The Bechtler Museum of Modern Art seeks an enthusiastic and self-motivated Assistant Curator to join the Bechtler Museum’s Art & Education Department. The Bechtler is committed to hiring talented individuals who desire to be a part of the museum’s vision of sharing the joy of modern art to inspire, inform, and enhance cultural and intellectual life. The successful candidate will display a curiosity to learn, a passion for modern art, positive energy, and the ability to work closely with a small team of committed colleagues. Located in Charlotte, North Carolina, the Bechtler is a mid-sized museum with a permanent collection of European and American modern art.
The Assistant Curator will play a critical role in the newly formed Art & Education Department. Among this position’s area of responsibility will be assisting the Deputy Director for Art & Education with all aspects of exhibition planning and development and the management and development of exhibition-related programming. Additionally, this position will conduct research on artists and artworks in the permanent collection, write copy for exhibition labels, the website, social media, grants, and educational materials. This Assistant Curator will have the opportunity to curate small exhibitions on occasion.
- Assist the Deputy Director for Art & Education in all aspects of the planning and development of new exhibitions and permanent collection displays in alignment with the Bechtler’s mission, and strategic goals.
- Manage existing public programming, including the film and classical music programs.
- In collaboration with the art and education department, develop and deliver public programs for adult and university audiences in conjunction with exhibitions and the Bechtler’s permanent collection.
- Conduct research on artists and artworks in the collection. Work with the Exhibitions manager to update TMS records and improve artwork files.
- Write copy for labels, website, social media, publications, and grants.
- Fact check exhibition texts and facilitate translations.
- Maintain curatorial object and artist files.
- Conduct tours of exhibitions.
- Manage interns.
- Obtain images.
- Propose and develop collection-based displays.
- Manage external requests and inquiries.
Characteristics of Successful Candidates
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated knowledge of art history, specifically modern art.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Demonstrated project management.
- Extremely organized, reliable, punctual, accurate, and detail oriented.
Education and Work History Requirements:
Education Required: Master’s Degree in art history, curatorial studies, or related field
Education Preferred: Master’s Degree in art history, curatorial studies, or related field
Experience Required: Four (2) – Seven (4) years art museum or gallery experience
Please send a letter of interest and resume via email to:
Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
420 S. Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28202