Position: Wolf Trap Early Childhood Performing Arts Artist
Reports To: Affiliate Director, N.C. Wolf Trap
Job Summary: The Wolf Trap Institute for Early Learning through the Arts, a program of the Wolf Trap Foundation, was established in 1981 under a grant from the Head Start Bureau of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The goal of the Institute is to provide early childhood educators with professional development training in the use of performing arts techniques within educational curriculum goals and outcomes for young children.
The centerpiece of all Institute programs is the early childhood classroom residency in which a Wolf Trap teaching artist and a classroom teacher work together to enhance instructional goals with performing arts techniques to meet the needs and goals of the teacher and class. This partnership strengthens the teacher’s knowledge of the important role the performing arts play in child development and learning and enables the teaching artist to gain in-depth understanding of early childhood education theory and best practice in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
North Carolina Wolf Trap is a program of The Arts & Science Council (ASC). ASC is seeking performing artists in dance, theatre or music who will conduct 7-week residencies in Pre-K classrooms across Gaston County and Rutherford County.
- Participate in the professional development training for new artists on TBD.
- Participate in professional development training for all teaching artists on TBD.
- Design and implement performing arts lessons based on current Early Childhood Education theory and best practice.
- Submit accurate paperwork in a timely manner.
- Educational training and experience in at least one performing arts category.
- Experience working with children ages 3-6.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Ability to facilitate strong relationships.
- Ability to present information effectively in one-on-one and group situations, to teachers, students, parents and the general public.
- Communicates with clarity, and actively listens and contributes to discussions.
- Problem-solve and mediate conflicts.
- Please request an application by sending an email expressing interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No phone calls, please.