Position: Project Harmony Elementary Orchestra Instructor:
Lead String Instructor
Lead Winds Instructor
Reports to: Director of Music Programs
Status: Contract Faculty, not eligible for benefits
Founded in 1969, Arts+ is a music and visual art nonprofit organization that provides outstanding arts education available to students of all ages, skill levels and socioeconomic backgrounds. From private lessons to summer camps to community outreach programs, Arts+ strives to help each student unlock their full potential through the power of arts education.
ABOUT PROJECT HARMONY:
Arts+ and the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra have combined forces to launch a bold public music program aimed at building pathways to success for Charlotte-area youth. By engaging children in orchestra programs that foster skill development and personal empowerment, Project Harmony is social transformation through music. Project Harmony is inspired by the renowned El Sistema youth and community development program of Venezuela. Project Harmony will be operating in four Charlotte area communities for 2019-2020. Every program location has an instructor each for strings and winds, as well as supporting interns.
- Teach and conduct elementary strings or winds students with the Project Harmony outreach program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead rehearsals of either elementary-level strings or winds students.
- Provide effective instruction on a variety of instruments (Strings: violin, viola and cello; Winds: flute, clarinet and trumpet).
- Effectively manage classroom of students.
- Coordinate with other teaching faculty and interns to plan rehearsals and curriculum for the full orchestra and sectionals.
- Select repertoire appropriate to age, skill and background of students, and prepare students for end of semester performances as well as community performances as they arise.
- Build relationships within the students’ communities and provide mentorship and guidance to students.
- Adhere to general faculty responsibilities according to the guidelines listed in the Arts+ Faculty Handbook.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in music education or music-related field and 2+ years of teaching experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of varied teaching methodologies and the ability to differentiate instruction to meet the diverse needs of students of all ages, backgrounds, and ability levels.
- Desire to work with children. Experience in and commitment for teaching children of underserved communities.
- Two days per week (either Tues/Thur or Wed/Fri), 3:45 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Compensation for preparation time and faculty meetings is also provided.
- There is also an opportunity to teach with other Arts+ music programming, such as teaching private lessons, classes/workshops and in-school programs. Please express any interest in these opportunities to the Director of Music Programs upon applying.
- Please submit resume, cover letter, and references to Wes Smith, Director of Music Programs, at email@example.com. Include “Project Harmony Instructor” in the subject line.
- Materials may also be submitted via mail: Arts+, Attn: Wes Smith, 345 N. College St., Charlotte, NC 28202
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is our policy to abide by all federal, state and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination based solely on a person’s race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, physical disability, mental disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner status, gender (including sex stereotyping), medical condition (including but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), sexual orientation, or any other protected status except where a reasonable, bona fide occupational qualification exists.