Studio 345 Journeys
Engage | Educate | Empower
Studio 345 Journeys, a program of ASC, is designed to engage, educate and empower high school youth through a variety of hands-on experiences. We believe that providing youth the opportunity to explore their natural environment, they are better able to understand and appreciate the world around them. Through exposure to an interconnected network of natural resources, we teach students about the importance of preserving our environment and inspire them to become advocates for environmental stewardship.
The Studio 345 Journeys program is a three-phase experience that includes local hikes and educational sessions, a trip to Acadia National Park in Maine and opportunities for students to advocate within their communities. The program is free of cost to students in exchange for a fully refundable deposit of $150 and their commitment to all aspects the program. High School students in Mecklenburg County are encouraged to apply.
PHASE ONE: MAY – AUGUST
Learn about food sustainability and be a part of our community’s efforts to grow and eat responsibly.
- Discover dynamic ecosystems between water, air, plants, and animals
- Maintain our adopted stream at Alexander Park
- Encounter plant-water relationships with aquaponics lessons
- Visit local farms and farmers markets
- Discover the Water/Energy/Food Nexus
- Prepare physically and mentally for Acadia National Park
- Hike, bike and camp at Lake Norman State Park
- Explore the old growth forests and marsh lands of Congaree National Park
- Climb to the summit of Morrow Mountain
PHASE TWO: AUGUST 6-12
Experience a week at Acadia National Park in Maine where you’ll witness the first sunrise, explore nocturnal life on night hikes, observe marine biology during a boat tour, create your own artwork, discover native wildlife and enjoy campfires.
PHASE THREE: SEPTEMBER 21, 2017
- Share your knowledge with local elected representatives and advocate for positive change
- Learn about advocacy from North Carolina environmental stewardship groups
- Empower yourself and others as a catalyst for change in environmental policies as citizens and future voters of North Carolina
- Celebrate and share artwork at the Studio 345 Journeys Program Celebration on September 21, 2017
Funding & In-Kind Sponsors
Duke Energy | Trips For Kids | Charlotte Area Transit System | Mecklenburg County | Park Journeys
Questions? Contact Janice Tucker at 704-247-2386 or email@example.com.
Nature Matters, ASC’s new documentary, tells the story of ten teenaged digital natives who discover their sense of place in the natural world.