Cato Excellence in Teaching Awards
ASC is seeking nominations of exceptionally creative teachers who have distinguished themselves in teaching the Arts, Sciences or History or who have demonstrated creative infusion of the Arts, Sciences or History into the core curriculum for the 2017 Cato Excellence in Teaching Awards.
Six $1,500 awards will be presented annually through the support of ASC’s Cato Excellence in Teaching Endowment. Both Finalists and Recipients will be recognized in Spring 2017.
Teachers, principals, school administrators, parents or students may nominate teachers for consideration.
Nominations should be sent to ASC in digital format.
Deadline for receipt of nominations is Friday, February 24, 2017 by 5:00 p.m.
Based on a review of nominations received by the deadline, six (6) finalists in each discipline will be selected to complete a full application and final review by the selection panel.
- Finalists and their nominator(s) will be notified and the following information will be required to be submitted:
- Biographical Information
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy (2 pages)
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation (1 school administrator, 1 teaching colleague and 1 other)
- Eligible teachers must be a Pre-K through 12th grade teacher working for a public or independent school in Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln or Union counties in North Carolina or Lancaster or York counties in SC.
- Nominees should exhibit a career marked by innovation and excellence in teaching focused on the arts, sciences or history or creative infusion of the arts, sciences or history into the core curriculum; school and community leadership; and dedication to the field of education.
Pamela Freedy, Sharon Elementary School & Charlotte Preparatory School (Arts)
Darlene Petranick, Lebanon Road Elementary (Science)
Bianca Yavelak, Ashbrook High School (Science)
Ann Jacob, New Town Elementary School (History)
Megan Luzader, Ransom Middle School (History)
Kenneth Koch, Northeast Middle School (Arts)
Glen Baron, Kensington Elementary (Science)
Wayne Phaneuf, Cuthbertson High School (History)
For more information about the ASC Cato Excellence in Teaching Award, contact Erin Elliott at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704-335-3058.